I am a big fan of pizza. I regularly make one at home whenever I can. The good thing about homemade pizza is that I can control what and how much toppings to put on my pizza. Leftovers are usually eaten for breakfast or as a snack when coming home from work. This chocolate pizza dish is something I wanted to try.
I bought this pizza cookbook when I went to a bookstore one day. In it are recipes for making different kinds of pizza. Some common ones are sausage, vegetable and margarita pizza. There are some unique ones too, like mixed herb pizza and deep fried pizza. What really caught my attention was the chocolate pizza. The dough is made of self-rising flour, cocoa powder, butter and milk. The mixture of cheese, sugar, egg and ground ginger acts as the pizza sauce. The toppings consist simply of almonds and cherries. The result is a rich chocolate flavored dessert that has a crunch. It is not too sweet but very satisfying
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup self-rising flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup grated farmer’s cheese
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Bottled maraschino cherries, drained (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 10-inch shallow cake or pizza pan with butter.
- To make the topping, combine the cheese, sugar and egg in a bowl, beating well with a fork. Stir in the ground ginger and set aside.
- To make the dough, sift together the flour and cocoa into another bowl. Add the butter and rub it in your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the center and pour in ⅓ cup of the milk. Mix well with a round-bladed knife, adding the remaining milk if necessary to mix to a soft dough (add the milk gradually until you reach the right dough consistency).
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead lightly. Roll out lightly to a 10 ¼-inch round and lift into the pan, pressing it against the sides and evenly over the base.
- Sprinkle half of the almonds over the pizza base, add the cheese mixture, and bake for 15 minutes. Put the cherries, if using, on top of the cheese mixture, sprinkle with the remaining almonds, and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes more. Serve hot or cold.