As a child, our family would have a special type of ham every Christmas. Now with a family of my own and in a different country, I have tried over the years to recreate the ham that I had as a child. This recipe is the closest approximation to that special ham. I recently brought this to a salu-salo and it was a hit.
The leftover ham slices are great when sprinkled with sugar and pan fried. The ham is great on bread such as pan-de-sal (Filipino bread roll).
- 8 lbs bone-in ham
- 8 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple jam
- In a bowl, dissolve brown sugar in water. Pour in a large stockpot together with the ham and pineapple juice. Make sure ham is fully submerged in juice, add more juice or water if needed.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for 1 hour. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer ham in a roasting pan, score skin and fat into diamond shapes. Spread pineapple jam all around the ham.
- Bake ham uncovered at pre-heated 400°F oven for 40 minutes or until well browned, basting once with juice from bottom of pan.
- Let ham stand covered for 15 minutes before carving. Enjoy!!!