Every Filipino has his/her own version of adobo. My dad cooks his adobo with tofu and oyster sauce. He uses fried firm tofu but I like to use puff tofu instead. The challenge of using puff tofu is that it absorbs most of the sauce. If you want to have more sauce in your adobo, make sure you have plenty of liquid before you add the tofu.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder butt, cut into cubes
- 1 160 g. Package of tofu puff
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 cups water or more as needed
- Combine pork, garlic, vinegar, pepper, bay leaf, soy sauce, sugar and water in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for an hour or until pork is tender. Add more water as needed. Leave enough liquid if you want more sauce in your adobo.
- Add oyster sauce and add salt if needed. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in tofu until fully coated with the sauce.
- Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!!!