I realize that I cook a lot of chicken dishes for my family. This is because chicken is such a versatile meat. It is also easy to prepare and compared to pork and beef, it takes shorter time to cook. I always buy chickens in bulk and freeze it. This way I can easily prepare chicken dishes any time I want. Just like the other day, I was able to cook spicy garlic chicken for dinner in less than half an hour.
Spicy garlic chicken or gratiam prik Thai gai is a Thai dish that I got from a cookbook lent to me by my niece. It consists of strips of chicken pieces marinated and then stir-fried with chili peppers and fried garlic. This dish is delicious and spicy but if you cannot take spicy food at all, you may omit the chili peppers. I am pretty sure it will still taste as good
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into small strips
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- ½ tablespoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fried garlic (available at any Asian store)
- 1-2 fresh hot chili peppers, chopped
- Marinate the chicken with the granulated garlic, white pepper, oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil over high heat in a skillet or wok. When the oil gets very hot, add the chicken mixture. Keep stirring until the meat is well-done, around 5 minutes.
- Stir in hot peppers and fried garlic. Mix well. Remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.
This recipe was adapted from the cookbook ``Thai Cooking in a Sufi`s Kitchen”.