Lemongrass Chicken Vermicelli Bowl
Servings 4 servings
- 3 lemongrass stalks , tough outer layers removed and sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 shallot , peeled
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs , pounded to an even thickness
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 oz dried rice vermicelli
- 5 oz carrots , peeled and julienned
- ½ English cucumber , julienned
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- A handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup peanuts , coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges , optional
Nuoc cham sauce
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice or 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 cup water
Prepare the lemongrass chicken:
Place the lemongrass, shallot, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and pepper flakes in a food processor and process until it turns into paste. Place the chicken thigh and paste in a resealable plastic bag, seal and toss to coat the chicken pieces completely. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
Remove the chicken from the plastic bag and scrape off any excess marinade from the chicken. Discard the marinade.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, flipping halfway through, until brown and no longer pink inside, 8 to 10 minutes total. Set aside for 5 minutes and then slice into thin pieces.
Prepare the vermicelli:
Bring a pot of 6 cups water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Add the noodles and let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse under cold running water and drain well.
Prepare the nuoc cha sauce:
Combine all the nuoc cham ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve sugar.
Divide the vermicelli noodles among 4 bowls. Top with the sliced chicken pieces, carrots, cucumber, mint leaves, cilantro leaves and peanuts.
To serve, drizzle with the sauce and a squeeze of lime juice, if using.
Calories: 544kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 2259mg | Potassium: 666mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 6061IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 3mg