These Jello dessert cups are such a lovely colorful dessert. I first saw this idea when a friend of mine made and shared it on social media. It immediately caught my attention because of the colors and the presentation. The original idea used a 9×13 glass baking dish, but I thought it would be better on dessert cups, which I had handy. On thing about this dessert is that it takes a long time to make. Each layer must be set before proceeding with the next layer. However, I had so much fun making this dessert and choosing which flavor of gelatin to use. It’s a pretty dessert and is not too sweet!
Jello Dessert Cups
- 3 (3 oz.) packages of different JELL-O Flavor Gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 5 tsp Knox unflavored gelatin, divided
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- First layer: Dissolve one package of any flavor jello and 1 teaspoon Knox gelatin in 1 cup of boiling water. Stir until the powder completely dissolves. Allow the mixture to cool and then pour 2 tablespoons of the mixture into each of the 12 (125 ml) dessert cups. Allow to set in the fridge for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the next layer and leave on the counter to cool.
- Second layer: Dissolve two teaspoons of Knox gelatin powder in ½ cup hot water. Add the condensed milk and additional ½ cup hot water. Let cool and then pour 1 tablespoon of the mixture over the set jello in each 12 dessert cups. Allow to set in the fridge for 20 minutes. Set aside the left-over milk mixture for later use and proceed to make the next layer.
- Third layer: Repeat step 1.
- Fourth layer: If the milk mixture starts to solidify, heat it up in the microwave for 25 seconds or until it turns into liquid again. Let cool slightly and then pour 1 tablespoon over the set jello in each of the 12 dessert cups. Allow to set in the fridge for 20 minutes and then proceed to make the last layer.
- Fifth layer: repeat step 1 and then refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.