It has been a busy weekend for me. Luckily, I had an extra day off on Monday and we were blessed with nice weather here in Vancouver. On Saturday, we celebrated Chinese New Year by having lunch at home. My oldest son and his wife came to celebrate with us. I had a busy morning so I did not get the chance to cook but instead we had take-out from our favorite local Chinese restaurant. It was a simple but cozy and enjoyable lunch. On Sunday, we went to my cousin’s place for her daughter’s birthday party. I brought the celebrant’s favorite, pineapple glazed ham and arroz caldo.
Arroz caldo is a Filipino congee in which rice and chicken are boiled in a large amount of water until the rice softens significantly. In addition to onions and ginger; saffron, black peppers and fish sauce may be added to give this rice dish more flavors. This dish is often served as a meal on its own.
Arroz caldo is one of my comfort food to have on a cold rainy day. I usually make this rice dish to my kids when they were growing up or when they are sick, as it is a mild and easily digestible food. My favorite way of eating arroz caldo is to add a hint of lemon juice and garnish it with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Arroz Caldo (Filipino Style Congee)
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs or any chicken pieces of your choice
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 thumb-size ginger, cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice, washed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 7 cups water
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- Chopped green onions
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium high heat. Add ginger and onion and saute until onion has softened.
- Add chicken pieces, stir and cook for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add fish sauce and stir to combine flavor.
- Add rice and saffron, if using. Stir to combine.
- Add water; stir to mix ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add hard boiled eggs. Correct seasonings with fish sauce or salt.
- Serve with chopped green onions and lemon wedges.