Mulligatawny soup is a hearty curry-flavoured soup with rice. My son and I both tried making this soup and we both loved it. We love the taste of the curry and the addition of the rice makes it a meal on its own. The apples added a nice sweetness to balance the heat from the curry. I used left-over rotisserie chicken meat for convenience and added flavour. In this soup, the vegetables were first sautéed in butter. The flour, curry powder and broth were added next. The mixture was then simmered for 20 minutes. The rice, apple and thyme were added next and simmered once more until the rice was done. The rotisserie chicken is added at the very last step. This comforting and hearty soup is a keeper!
Mulligatawny soup is a hearty curry-flavoured soup with rice. Apples add a nice sweetness to balance the heat from the curry and rotisserie chicken meat is used for convenience and added flavour.
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 carrot , peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ apple , cored and grated
- ¼ cup white rice
- 1 cup cubed rotisserie chicken
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
Place the onion, celery, carrot and butter in a pot over medium high heat. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the flour and curry, and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, stir well and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the apple, rice and thyme. Bring to a boil and then simmer until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken and bring to a boil. Taste and correct the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve hot.
Recipe source: allrecipes.com