One thing that I tried when I was in Vegas last month was the seafood dinner buffet at one of the popular hotels. There was so much food, I was not able to try everything. One of the things that I really enjoyed and thankful that I have tried was the tomato soup. It was so good, I had two servings of it. Recently, my friend gave me a bunch of recipes and among them was a tomato soup recipe. I decided to make it at home and see if it tasted similar to the one I had in Vegas. The recipe was simple and easy to follow. The onion and garlic were first sautéed in olive oil and butter and then the rest of the ingredients were added and brought to a boil. Afterwards, the mixture was gently simmered for 15 minutes and then pureed. The cool thing about this recipe is that the grilled cheese sandwich that was supposed to be eaten alongside this soup was cut into cubes and used as croutons. The tomato soup was so good, my family and I can’t get enough of it. It is the ultimate comfort food. The tomato soup and the grilled cheese croutons complement each other so perfectly, it’s a match made in heaven. Enjoy!
Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 5 cups (1.2 L) canned whole tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp sea salt plus more as needed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano or 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp sugar
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 4 slices white or whole wheat bread
- Slices of smoked cheddar cheese or any of your favorite cheese
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add the tomato and juice, water, cream, salt, red pepper flakes, celery seed, oregano, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make two grilled cheese sandwiches. Using a knife, slice each sandwich into crouton size pieces. Set aside.
- Remove the soup from heat and cool slightly for 5 minutes. Puree the soup in the saucepan using hand blender or in batches in the container of a regular blender until smooth.
- Reheat the soup to a simmer. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls garnished with the grilled cheese croutons.
Leave a Reply