On Saturday night, my son and I went to a night market here in Richmond BC. The night market is open every year during the summer and people go there for the food and cheap merchandise. We arrived early, so we were able to taste some of the foods and then walked around to browse through all the stalls. Before we left, we had to buy rotisserie pork hock and chicken karaage to take home with us. They were both good but my favorite was the pork hock, a dish which reminds me of a Filipino dish, crispy pata (deep fried pork hock). There were some left-over for lunch the next day, so I decided to make this spinach and strawberry salad to go with it. The salad consists simply of spinach and strawberries with a sweet and light dressing. My youngest son even got creative by adding slices of pineapples and kiwis. Delicious
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 cups of sliced strawberries
- Few pieces of fresh or canned pineapples chunks cut into ½ inch slices (optional)
- 2 pieces of kiwi, peeled and sliced thinly (optional)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- In a jar, combine ingredients for the dressing and shake vigorously until combined. Toss with spinach and strawberries; and pineapples and kiwis, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: The Best of the Best and More