I love green tea and I drink it every day at lunch. When I went to Japan a few months ago, I had a chance to taste a lot of green tea goodies. These baked green tea donuts are inspired by the one I ate in Japan. This recipe is a cake donut recipe and is healthier because it’s baked and not fried. They are best consumed on the same day. I love this donut recipe because it’s easy to make and easy to clean up. There is no need to deep fry and the ingredients are simply combined and placed in the mold. These baked green tea donuts came out great and you can taste the green tea in each bite!
Baked Green Tea Donuts
- ¾ cup cake flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tbsp honey
Matcha Glaze: (optional)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 2-3 tbsp hot water
- Position the rack in the middle of the oven and then preheat the oven to 425 degree F. Spray a 6-cavity donut pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and matcha.
- Add the beaten egg, milk, butter and honey. Beat until just combined. Fill each pan cavity 2/3 full.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until tops of the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- If using the match a glaze, in a medium bowl, whisk together the confectioner’s sugar and matcha powder. Stir in 2 tablespoons of hot water, stirring until the glaze is thick and smooth. Add another tablespoon of hot water if glaze is too thick. Use immediately to glaze donuts.