The use of spaghetti squash in this baked spaghetti squash with tomato meat sauce recipe makes it the ideal low-carb dish. Spaghetti squash has a unique feature in that it resembles spaghetti after you cook it and fluff it up with a fork. That’s why it is the perfect vegetable to use in a dish like this. After baking the squash for thirty minutes, the tomato meat sauce is layered on top. After topping it off with mozzarella cheese, it is returned to the oven until the cheese is bubbling. Not only is this dish easy and delicious, it’s also guilt free!
- Olive oil
- Spaghetti Squash – the main ingredient in this baked spaghetti squash dish. The one I used was 3 lbs
- Ground Beef – used to fill the spaghetti squash and the main protein in the dish
- Yellow Onion – added to the tomato-meat sauce for flavor
- Garlic – added to the tomato-meat sauce for flavor
- Italian Seasoning – added to the tomato-meat sauce for flavor
- Can of crushed tomatoes – combined with the meat to make it saucy
- Mozzarella – sprinkled on top of the meat sauce and melted
- Parsley – for garnish
How to make baked spaghetti squash with tomato meat sauce
To make this dish, first score the squash lengthwise. Then, poke a few holes along the score to allow steam to release when microwaving the squash. After, microwave the squash to soften it a bit to make it easier to cut. Scoop out the seeds, brush the inside with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the squash cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast the squash until tender and allow to cool. Using a fork, scrape the inside of the squash until it resembles spaghetti. Set the squash aside.
On a skillet, heat the oil and add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook a bit more. Then, add the ground beef, season and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and season with Italian seasoning. Scoop the tomato-meat sauce and put on the spaghetti squash halves. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top and bake until the cheese is bubbling. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately!
- I like to poke a few holes and microwave my spaghetti squash before slicing it in half. This softens the squash a lot and makes it easier to cut. Alternatively, you can just cut the squash in a half without microwaving it if you are able to do it safely.
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Meat Sauce
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs)
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- With a knife, carefully score squash lengthwise where you’re going to cut it in half. Poke a few holes along the score.
- Microwave the squash for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Carefully cut the squash in a half. Scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the inside of both halves of the squash with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the two halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast the squash until tender, about 30 minutes. Allow several minutes to cool.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides to create a spaghetti-like texture. Leave insides in the squash.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef. Season with salt. Cook and mix until cooked through, while breaking the beef into small crumbles, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer.
- Spread the tomato/beef mixture evenly between the two squash halves.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly between both halves.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!