I have been enjoying the nice warm weather here in Vancouver and the many activities and bounties that only warm weather can give. Our backyard garden looks green and lush with abundant summer plants, flowers, herbs and fruits. Bushes of blueberries are producing lots of big sweet berries this year. With the extra blueberries on hand, I decided to make something that will make used of the sweet berries. I also have ripe bananas in my fruit bowl, so these banana blueberry pancakes were the perfect dish to make.
Normally I would make banana bread out of the ripe bananas, but this time I opted to make these banana pancakes instead. I sprinkled a few blueberries I freshly picked from our garden on top of the pancakes. The result are pancakes that are not only filing but also delicious. I enjoyed them at breakfast with a drizzle of Canadian maple syrup. Yummy!
- All-purpose flour
- Sugar – I use just enough to balance out the sweetness from the bananas and the tartness of the blueberries
- Baking powder – gives the pancakes a bit of volume
- Salt – brings out all the flavors
- Large egg – used to bind the ingredients together
- Fresh milk
- Vanilla extract
- Ripe bananas – adds sweetness to the pancakes
- Blueberries – adds tartness
- Maple syrup – a favorite to have on my pancakes
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BLUEBERRY PANCAKES:
To make these pancakes, combine the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls and then mix them together until just moistened. Next, stir in the mashed banana into the mixture. Pour ¼ cupfuls of the batter onto a hot greased pan and cook until bubbles form on the top. Flip them over and cook the other side until golden brown. Serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.
- The banana blueberry pancakes should be cooked over medium low heat. This ensures the inside of the pancake is properly cooked.
Banana Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups fresh milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ripe medium-size bananas , mashed
- 1 cup blueberries , fresh or frozen
- Maple syrup , optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, milk and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened (don’t over-mix). Stir in the mashed banana.
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan over medium low heat. Grease with butter.
- Drop the batter by ¼ cupfuls onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle top with a few blueberries.
- Cook the pancakes till bubbles form on top, about 2 minutes. Flip them over, and cook till the other side is golden, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Serve as is or drizzled with maple syrup, if desired.
Leave a Reply