Buko pandan salad is a dessert consisting of pandan flavored gelatin and shredded young coconut mixed with cream and sweetened milk. It is very popular in every Filipino party or salu-salo especially during Christmas time. Normally, to get the pandan flavor, the gelatin is cooked along with pandan leaves. Thank goodness, pandan flavored gelatin is now available at any Filipino store. I first heard of this delightful dessert from my sister. She served this in one of her parties and I was immediately hooked. No wonder there was a pandan craze in the Philippines when I was there in April. The only use of pandan as I remember it was to flavor rice, but now pandan is used in almost anything. The most popular ways to used it are in pandan cake, chicken pandan, puto (steamed rice cake) and hopia (bean filled pastry). In this recipe, I used frozen shredded young coconut. After thawing the young coconut, it was mixed with the cream and condensed milk. The cubed pandan flavored gelatin was then added. This buko pandan salad is better enjoyed when it has been chilled. Enjoy!
Buko pandan salad is a dessert consisting of pandan flavored gelatin and shredded young coconut mixed with cream and sweetened milk. It is very popular in every Filipino party or salu-salo especially during Christmas time.
- 1 package gelatin , (3.35oz /95 g) pandan flavor
- 3 frozen shredded young coconut , (16oz/454g) thawed and drained
- 1 can nestle cream or carnation thick cream
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- Cook the gelatin according to packet directions. Pour gelatin mixture into a 9X13 inch dish. Cool to set.
- Cut the set gelatin into cubes. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together the young coconut, thick cream and condensed milk. Taste and add more condensed milk, if desired.
- Add the cubed gelatin into the cream mixture and gently mix. Cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- Serve and enjoy!