Chicken Pastel is a Filipino style chicken and vegetable dish with a thick and creamy sauce. In the original recipe, the chicken and vegetables are cooked separately and put together in a casserole, covered with a pie crust and then baked in the oven. This recipe is different from the norm in the sense that it does not have a crust and it uses sour cream instead of milk.
I learned about this recipe from my sister, who in turn got the recipe from her mother-in-law. My sister’s mother-in-law is a good cook and I have learned to cook many dishes from her. I was able to spend some precious time with her when I recently went back home to the Philippines. I will be forever grateful for all the recipes she has given me. This chicken pastel recipe is one of those treasured recipes. What do I like about this dish? It’s the combination of the sweet salty Chinese sausage, the smooth tender potatoes and the creamy delicious sauce. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs skinned chicken thighs or any chicken pieces of your choice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 pieces Chinese style sausage sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 carrot peeled and cubed
- 1 large potato cubed
- 2 medium red bell peppers cubed
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can Vienna sausage , drained and sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ cup light sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce and lemon juice. Let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion. Saute until onion is soft. Add the chicken pieces and sauté for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Constantly stir the mixture to avoid meat sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- Add Chinese sausage, carrot, potatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms. Stir well, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in Vienna sausage and sour cream. Correct seasonings if needed. Serve immediately.