These eggplant Parmesan boats are a deliciously healthy vegetarian dish that is made of roasted eggplant, cherry tomatoes, canned crushed tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. I love eggplant and this dish is a perfect example of why. I love the combination of the tomatoes with the eggplant and the cheese. Yum!
- 2 eggplants, cut in half lengthwise, about 500g each
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (540ml) crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 24 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Scoop out the insides of each eggplant half, leaving about ½ inch intact. Coarsely chop the scooped-out eggplant chunks and set aside.
- Spray a rimmed baking pan with cooking spray. Season the cut-side of the eggplant with salt, pepper and ½ tsp Italian seasoning. Place the eggplant cut-side down on the baking sheet. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sautee the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add the eggplant chunks and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Finally, add the canned crushed tomatoes. Season with ½ tsp of Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer covered, stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutes, until the eggplant is soft and cooked. While simmering, you may need to add water if there is not enough liquid.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the sauce.
- Spoon the sauce into the eggplant boats. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Put in the oven and bake until cheese is bubbly.
Recipe adapted from: Tastemade