I haven’t made this Filipino spaghetti for a long time. I used to make it frequently for my kids, especially when we first immigrated here in Vancouver, Canada but then my former neighbor taught me a different way to make spaghetti. She taught me how to make quick Italian sausage spaghetti which uses Italian sausages and store bought pasta sauce. It was an easy, quick and convenient way to whip up a meal. Since then, I have made it for my family at least once a month. Last week, I decided to make this Filipino spaghetti again. I realized how different it is from regular spaghetti in the sense that Filipino spaghetti consists of unique ingredients, sliced hotdogs and banana sauce, which makes it sweeter compared to the regular one.
In this Filipino spaghetti recipe, the sliced hotdogs were fried separately until browned and then set aside. The ground pork was then sautéed with the aromatics and then slowly simmered with the tomato and banana sauce for 15 minutes. The browned sliced hotdogs were added afterwards at the end of cooking time. Eating this Filipino spaghetti brought back fond memories. I forgot how good and comforting this food was. Enjoy!
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 3 tablespoon olive oil ,divided
- 4 hotdogs ,sliced diagonally
- 1 onion ,chopped
- 2 cloves garlic ,minced
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup banana sauce (catsup)
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Cook spaghetti noodles in salted boiling water until tender but firm. Drain in a colander and toss with 1 tablespoon oil to prevent from sticking.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Add sliced hotdogs and cook, stirring until brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Using the same skillet, sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes or until onion has softened. Add ground pork and cook until juice from the meat has evaporated and the meat is brown, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and banana sauce. Stir to combine and blend flavors. Reduce heat to medium, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sliced hotdogs.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti and sprinkle with grated cheese.