Easter was last week, and I was able to spend some quality time with my family. My oldest son, his wife and my youngest son came home to celebrate Easter with me and my husband. I made the usual’s: pineapple glazed ham and pan de sal. I also made sautéed asparagus and mushroom as a side dish. We had leftover ham and pan de sal which my husband ate for breakfast the next couple of days. Also, I was able to make this Instant Pot leftover ham bone and congee dish with the leftover ham bone.
This congee recipe has a few and simple ingredients. Strips of ginger were added to add flavor to the porridge. It took a total of one hour and a half to make this congee using an instant pot. It only takes 20 minutes to cook this dish but it took 10 minutes to preheat the pot and another hour to naturally release the pressure. It was worth the wait. The ham bone congee came out so good. A garnish of chopped green onions makes it even better. My husband and I are feeling under the weather these last few days. A bowl of the ham bone congee is a perfect comfort food to have!
- 1 cup long grain white rice , rinsed until water is clear
- 1 leftover ham bone
- 9 cups water
- 1- inch fresh ginger , peeled and slice into thin strips
- Salt to taste
- Chopped green onions , for garnish
- In a 6-quart instant pot, combine the rice, ham bone, water and ginger. Lock the lid in place and set the valve to sealing position.
- Press the Porridge setting. After 10 seconds, the pot will beep 3 times and the LCD will display On to indicate that the pot has entered the preheating cycle.
- For this recipe, it will take about 10 minutes to preheat the pot. During this time, the pot will heat up and pressure will build up and the float valve will rise. The LCD will then display 20 minutes, time for porridge to cook.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, the pot will switch to the Keep Warm mode. Allow the pot to cool down naturally until the float valve drops down. This will take about 1 hour.
- Set the valve to venting position, make sure the float valve has risen and then open the lid. Remove the ham bone and pull off meat from the bone. Return the meat to the soup and discard the bone. Stir the congee and then season with salt to taste. Press Cancel and then unplug the instant pot.
- Ladle the congee into bowls, garnish with chopped green onions and serve.