This low carb zucchini crust pizza is a dish for those on a low carb diet that crave pizza. Pizza is normally not low in carbs because of the crust. However, this pizza uses zucchini as a base for the crust. It is definitely not the same as the real thing, but will surely satisfy that pizza craving! First, the zucchini is mixed with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and seasoned. Then, the zucchini is pressed onto an oven safe skillet and baked until the crust is set. Meanwhile, the meat sauce is cooked consisting of marinara sauce and ground meat. The sauce is then layered on top of the zucchini crust along with cheese and pepperoni. The result is a pizza-like dish that is safe to eat for those on a low carb diet. Enjoy!
Low Carb Zucchini Crust Pizza
- 1 medium zucchini cut into small strips
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 lbs ground turkey or your favorite ground meat
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 150 g pepperoni slices
- Parsley for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place zucchini strips on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze as much water from the zucchini as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix the zucchini, Parmesan cheese, egg, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Grease an oven safe skillet and press the zucchini onto it.
- Bake zucchini the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground beef on medium-high heat. Mix in the marinara sauce.
- After baking the zucchini, spread the marinara mixture on top of the zucchini crust. Add a layer of mozzarella cheese. Then add the pepperoni.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly.
- Allow to cool and garnish with parsley.