My family and I have been enjoying this beef soup with cabbage and potatoes at least twice a month during these cold winter months. Nilagang Baka is my go to dish when I want an easy but delicious and satisfying meal for my family. This easy soup recipe is likewise the perfect dish to make when you are just beginning to learn how to cook. It is one of the first dishes I learned to make when I was just a teenager. The beef is simmered with the onions and whole peppercorns for at least two hours and then the vegetables are added afterwards. I used bone-in beef shank in this recipe because it adds more flavor to the broth. This dish is a complete meal in itself. It has meat, potatoes and vegetables. Enjoy!
Nilagang Baka (Beef Soup with Cabbage and Potatoes)
- 2 lbs bone-in beef shank, beef short ribs or beef brisket, cut into serving pieces
- 2 medium onions, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 5 medium size yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium green cabbage, quartered and cored
- 4 pieces ripe saba or plantain banana, peeled and cut in half (optional)
- Fish sauce or salt to taste
- Put beef in a big pot and add enough water to cover it. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off scum that rises on the surface.
- Add onion, salt and peppercorns. Reduce heat to medium, cover and let simmer for 2 hours or until meat is fork tender. Add more water as needed.
- Increase heat to medium high. Add potatoes and cabbage and cook for 10 minutes. Add plantain banana, if using; cook for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Correct seasonings using fish sauce or salt. Serve hot with steamed rice and fish sauce with lemon juice on the side.