Pan de sal (or pandesal) is a popular sweet Filipino bread roll that is eaten for breakfast or as a snack and can be eaten with many different fillings. My family enjoys these versatile and delicious bread rolls for breakfast with some butter or cheese. We also love it as a snack with different meats like ham or corned beef.
Although this recipe does not require the use of a bread machine, I’ve made pan de sal so many times over the years that I have a version specifically for the bread machine. If you own a bread machine, I recommend checking out the bread machine version, which I use often. However, for those who do not have a bread machine at home, this version of the recipe is made the old fashioned way- by hand!
Filipino bread roll ingredients
These rolls are made with a few simple ingredients.
- All purpose flour
Pan de sal Procedure
To make pan de sal, the yeast is added to warm water and left to sit for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, the milk, butter, eggs and salt are combined. Then, the milk mixture, flour and the yeast mixture are combined until smooth. After kneading the dough until elastic, the dough is placed into a greased bowl, covered in plastic wrap and left to rise until doubled in size. The dough is divided into 24 equal ball-shaped pieces and rolled in breadcrumbs. After placing the balls of dough onto a baking pan, they are covered in a cloth and left to rise one more time until double in size again. Finally, they are baked until golden brown. The result is perfectly golden brown bread rolls that are sure to please the crowd!
Pan de Sal Without Bread Machine
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour or more as necessary
- Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup warm water in a big bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes, and then stir well.
- In a bowl, combine milk, butter, eggs, sugar and salt.
- Add milk mixture and 2 cups flour into the yeast mixture. Beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining flour, adding more if necessary.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead dough, adding flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (around 10 minutes).
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board. Divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, roll in breadcrumbs and place in a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise for at least one hour or until almost double in size.
- Bake in 225 F oven for 20 minutes and then increase the oven temperature to 325 F while keeping the bread in the oven. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!