Fruit crisp is one of my favorite desserts to make. It is simple and consists of easy to find ingredients. It is tremendously flexible because you can use just about any fruit. Apple is the favorite fruit to use but there are a wide variety of fruits to choose from. This pear and banana crisp recipe uses pear and banana, which I think is a great combination. They complement each other in terms of taste and texture. Instead of using a baking dish to cook the fruit crisp, this recipe uses individual ramekins. It is easier to serve and each serving gets the perfect balance of the fruit filling and topping.
In this pear and banana recipe, the sliced fruit is cooked in butter and spices, divided in ramekins, and sprinkled with the crumbly topping. Then, it’s baked it in the oven and after 30 minutes, the dessert is ready. The fruit crisp came out great! It had a crispy top and the fruit filling was soft and not too sweet. This fruit crisp can be eaten as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Either way, it is the ultimate dessert to have after a meal!
- Unsalted butter – is used to cook the fruits.
- Fruits: Pear and banana – a perfect combo for this fruit crisp recipe
- Brown sugar – adds sweetness to the filling
- Spices: cinnamon and nutmeg – add flavor and aroma to the fruit filling
- Topping: flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cold butter – collectively, makes this fruit crisp better. It adds the perfect sweetness and crunch to this fruit crisp.
HOW TO MAKE PEAR AND BANANA CRISP:
To make this pear and banana crisp, first cook the cubed pear in a mixture of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the sliced banana and then set it aside. Next, make the crumbly topping by combining the flour and the two sugars. Using your fingers, rub in the butter until the size of small peas. Sprinkle the crumbly topping among the ramekins and then bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Let it cool before serving.
- You can use any fruit you like. You can use one fruit or two, depending on your preference.
- It is better to use fruits that are abundant or in season.
Pear and Banana Crisp
- 1 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- 3 ripe but firm pears peeled, cored and cubed (I used Anjou pears)
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3 large bananas cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add pears, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, occasionally, until pear has softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in bananas. Divide mixture among six (200 ml) ramekins. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Add the butter. Using your finger or a fork, work the mixture until it has the consistency of coarse bread crumbs. Divide the topping among ramekins.
- Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until topping is golden and fruit filling is bubbling, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply