This vegetarian quick egg and mushroom fried rice dish is an easy one-pot meal. The mushrooms in this fried rice are definitely the star. Although I used fresh shiitake mushrooms, any type of mushrooms would work just as well. First, the mushrooms were cooked with the aromatics (green onions, ginger and garlic). Then, the cooked rice and peas were mixed in. The beaten eggs were added to the center of the pan and cooked through before mixing with the rice mixture, soy sauce, oyster sauce, Sriracha and sesame oil. You may omit the oyster sauce to make this a vegetarian dish. The result was an easy and delicious one-pot meal that my whole family enjoyed a lot. I will definitely keep this one on the list for when I am short on time!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 green onions thinly sliced light and dark green parts separated
- 2 cups fresh mushroom such as shiitake or cremini
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 5 cups cold cooked rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce may be omitted to make it vegetarian
- 2 tsp Sriracha or other Asian chili sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Prepare the mushroom by rinsing them briefly, wiping dry with paper towels, cutting the stems and slicing. Set aside.
- In wok or large non-stick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry light green parts of green onions until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until mushroom has softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice and peas; cook, stirring frequently, until rice is hot, about 5 minutes. Push rice into ring around edge of pan, leaving space in center; pour eggs into center. Cook, stirring eggs occasionally, until softly scrambled, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice mixture, soy sauce, oyster sauce(if using), Sriracha and sesame oil; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Sprinkle with dark green parts of green onions.
Recipe adapted: canadianliving.com