Ratatouille is a traditional French vegetable stew and usually consists of vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes and some aromatic herbs. There are varieties of ways of cooking this vegetable dish. One way is to simply sauté all the vegetables together and let it simmers until tender. This recipe uses another method where the vegetables are sautéed in batches then recombined and simmered with the aromatics. Although this method of cooking consists of several steps, the result is more flavorful and tasty vegetables. Although this vegetable dish is usually served as a side dish, it may also be eaten on its own or with rice or bread. Enjoy!
Ratatouille (Vegetable Stew) Recipe
- Several splashes of olive oil
- 2 Chinese eggplants, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp of dried thyme
- A sprinkle or two of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunches of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Begin by sautéing the eggplant and zucchini in a large skillet over high heat with a splash or two of, olive oil. Continue cooking, stirring and tossing, until the vegetables are golden and tender, about 10 minutes or so. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Turning the heat down and using the same skillet, continue with another splash or two of olive oil and the bell peppers, cooking them just until they are tender, another 5 minutes or so. Add them to the bowl of reserved vegetables.
- Next, sauté the onion with another splash of olive oil until they soften. Add the garlic and continue cooking for another few minutes.
- Lower the heat. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme and simmer until the mixture thickens, 6- 10 minutes.
- Add the reserved vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until everything is heated through.
- Stir in the fresh basil and balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.