I made this dish to use left-over baby potatoes I bought from Costco last week. My family loves salt and vinegar chips so I knew for sure that this dish would be a hit with them. The potatoes were soaked first for an hour in a bath of hot water flavored with salt and vinegar. It was then tossed with cornstarch, more salt and a bit of freshly ground pepper before it was roasted in the oven until it was tender and golden browned. The roasted potatoes came out nice and tender inside while crispy on the outside. The taste was just right; it was neither too salty nor sour. My family enjoyed these baby potatoes with the chicken casserole I made for dinner. Simply delicious!
- 5 cups water
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
- Coarse salt
- 1½ lbs russett potatoes, cut into cubes (I used halved baby potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in white and malt vinegars and one tablespoon salt. Add potatoes, cover and let sit for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet with oil.
- Drain the potatoes, blot dry with paper towels and place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with cornstarch and toss.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over top and massage into the potatoes with your hands. Spread them out in one layer and sprinkle generously with salt and lightly with pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes then toss and spread out again. Bake 15 - 20 minutes more until fork tender and lightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
Was quite nice although didn’t taste much vinegar. Next time would buy a better quality white vinegar or use more. They didn’t even stick to the tray. Just perfect. Would have again. Didn’t change anything. 10/10. Thanks for a great recipe.
You’re welcome Brenda! Glad you liked it 🙂 🙂
Margo, Thrift at Home
wow, just made these for supper! They are wonderful! My family is begging me to make them again because they taste like the boardwalk fries we get at the beach. Loved this unique brine before the roast.
Glad your family liked it! Thanks for dropping by and have a great week 🙂 🙂
Katie (The Muffin Myth)
Those look so perfectly crispy! I’ve never tried adding cornstarch to roast potatoes before, but it makes sense that it’d provide a really great crunchy exterior. I’ve done vinegar soaked potatoes before that I finished on the bbq, but never roasted. Definitely something I’ll be trying soon. Thanks for the recipe!
You’re welcome Katie! Thanks for dropping by 🙂 🙂