I love this sauteed cauliflower and snow peas recipe because it uses two of my favorite vegetables; cauliflower and snow peas. This recipe is a typical Filipino way of cooking vegetable dishes. A small amount of meat is used to add protein to an otherwise vegetarian dish. Pork shoulder or belly and ground pork are the popular meats used.
In this dish, I used pork shoulder. The pork is first boiled and cooked in seasoned water until tender and then sliced into thin strips. The sliced pork is then cooked with the sauteed aromatics. Then, the reserved broth is added to cook the vegetables. The vegetables came out crisp tender, the way I like my vegetables. This dish is simple and healthy. My family and I enjoyed this vegetable dish with steamed rice.
- ½ lb pork shoulder or belly
- 1 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower, around 2 lbs, cut into florets
- 5 oz snow peas, trimmed
- 1 small carrot, around 3 oz, peeled and julienned
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the pork in a medium saucepan and then pour enough water to cover the pork. Bring to a boil. Add salt, lower heat to medium and cook, covered until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the pork and reserve 2 cups of the broth.
- Slice the pork into thin strips. Set aside.
- Using a non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute until onion starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pork and stir for 1 minute. Add the broth, cauliflower and carrot, and cook covered for 3 minutes. Add the snow peas and continue cooking for another 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.