I love this four layer pistachio pudding dessert because it uses pistachio flavored pudding mix. Pistachios, along with macadamia nuts are my favorites. To make this dish even better, I used fresh pistachio nuts in addition to the pudding. I knew I would like this dessert because I am a big fan of layered dessert. One that I’ve shared on my blog is mango float.
This delicious dish is the perfect dessert to end a meal. It is decadent and just enough to satisfy one’s sweet tooth. It’s also a great dessert to bring to a party.
The layers in this pistachio dessert
This dessert consists of 4 distinct layers.
Bottom Layer – The bottom layer is the crust and consists of the following ingredients:
- Pistachios – make sure to reserve 1 tbsp of the nuts to sprinkle on top.
Cream cheese layer – this layer sits just above the crust and has the following ingredients:
- Cream cheese
- Icing Sugar
- Cool Whip
Pudding layer – the green layer with the pudding mix
- Pistachio Pudding – I use 2 packages of Jell-O Pistachio Instant Pudding. Each package is 4 cup serving.
- Cold milk
Cool whip topping – the top layer
- Cool whip
How to make Pistachio Pudding Dessert?
This recipe is easy to make but has several steps of cooling, setting and chilling of the ingredients. The bottom layer, or crust, consists of a mixture of finely chopped pistachios, butter, flour and sugar. First, bake the bottom layer in the oven until browned. You must make sure to cool the crust layer completely before adding the next layer. Then, spread the cream cheese, icing sugar and cool whip on top of the crust layer. After that, cover the layer with a mixture of the pistachio pudding and cold milk to create the green-colored layer. Finally, it is finished off with a layer of cool whip at the top and a sprinkle of chopped pistachio nuts.
Pistachio Pudding Dessert
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachio or walnuts , divided
- ½ cup butter , softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 250 g cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup icing (powdered) sugar
- 1 L Cool Whip Topping , thawed, divided
- 2 package Jell-O Pistachio Instant Pudding (4 cup -servings each)
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- Heat oven to 325 degree F. Grease a 13X9-inch baking pan.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon nuts. Using a stand up or hand held mixer, combine the remaining nuts with butter, flour and sugar.
- Press flour mixture onto bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes and then set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine together cream cheese and icing sugar; whisk until well combined. Stir in 2 cups of Cool Whip. Spread cream cheese mixture over the cooled crust.
- Using a stand up mixer, beat pudding mixes and milk with whisk on low speed for 3 minutes. Spread over cream cheese layer and let stand for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cover with the remaining Cool Whip. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Slice and sprinkle with remaining nuts just before serving.