This shrimp and okra in coconut milk recipe is inspired by the many coconut milk (gata) recipes in Filipino cuisine. Shrimp and okra are two of my family’s favorite ingredients and so, I knew this dish would be a perfect.
This dish is easy to make. The okra is first sautéed together with the aromatics and then simmered in coconut milk. The shrimp is added last. The addition of tomato sauce gives the coconut milk sauce balance of flavor and a nice color as well.
This coconut milk dish with shrimp and okra turned out great. I love the creamy and delicious sauce. Serve it with steamed rice and you have a satisfying meal.
This shrimp and okra in coconut milk dish consists of a delicious and creamy sauce. Serve this shrimp and okra dish with steamed rice and you have a satisfying meal.
- 1 lb head-on large shrimp
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped shallot
- 1 1 inch piece ginger , peeled and julienned
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped
- 8 oz fresh okra
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 serrano peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 cups loosely packed pepper leaves or spinach
- Trim the tendrils off the shrimp with scissors and then rinse under cold running water. Drain and then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and ginger, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the okra and sauté for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring frequently, on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and serrano peppers, and cook for 3 minutes, or until shrimp turns pink. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the tomato sauce and stir to combine with the mixture. Stir in the pepper leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.