It’s the last week before school starts and it means heading back to work for me. These past few weeks have been busy times for me. I have been doing some organizing and cleaning around the house as well as doing some errands. Although, summer is not officially over yet, the orange leaves on the trees and the cooler weather are here to remind us that fall is just around the corner. We are lucky that some of summer’s bounty are still available in the produce section of most supermarkets. My family tries to consume and enjoy as much fresh strawberries, blueberries and watermelons. Cherry tomatoes and spinach are also some of these produce that we consume a lot of. I try to use them in my cooking as much as I can. In this recipe, cherry tomatoes and spinach were used along with red onion, cannellini beans, egg yolks and Parmesan cheese to dress up a simple and yet delicious pasta dinner. Enjoy!
Summertime Carbonara with Tomatoes, Bacon & Beans
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 5 slices of turkey bacon finely chopped
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 14- oz cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Before draining, set aside 3/4 cup of the cooking water in a heat-proof medium bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bacon; sauté until onion softens, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add cooked spaghetti and beans; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir spinach into pot, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until spinach wilts, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add egg yolks to bowl with reserved cooking water and whisk well; add to pot along with cheese and pepper. Using tongs, toss mixture until coated and cook for 1 minute.