This Thai Basil Chicken recipe is a simple and tasty dish that will definitely spice up your weeknight dinner. It is packed with bold flavors and aromatic herbs. The combination of tender chicken, vibrant vegetables, and savory sauce is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
This Thai Basil Chicken recipe is a true winner, combining the richness of tender chicken, the heat of red chilies, and the freshness of Thai basil. With its vibrant colors and enticing aroma, this dish will captivate your senses and satisfy your cravings for bold Asian flavors. Don’t hesitate to give it a try and impress your family and friends with this quick and delicious meal. Enjoy!
- Chicken thighs – provide enhanced flavor, moisture, texture, and the ability to absorb the flavors of the sauce.
- Cooking oil – It’s important to choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point, like avocado oil, that can withstand the high heat required for stir-frying.
- Spices: shallots, garlic and Thai red chilies – Together, these spices create a harmonious blend of flavors, combining the aromatic allure of garlic, the subtle sweetness of shallots, and the fiery kick of Thai red chilies.
- Sauce: fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and ground black pepper – adds depth, umami and sweetness to the Thai Basil Chicken. It ties the flavors together, creating a delicious dish that showcases the vibrant and balanced taste of Thai cuisine.
- Thai basil leaves – bring a unique flavor, delightful aroma, visual appeal, and herbal balance to the Thai Basil Chicken.
HOW TO MAKE THIS THAI BASIL CHICKEN RECIPE:
In this recipe, slice the chicken thighs into thin strips and set them aside. Heat a large non-stick skillet and add oil to coat the pan. Sauté shallots for 1 minute, then add garlic and chilies and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken strips and cook until done. Stir in fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper, cooking for another minute. Finally, add basil leaves, and serve the dish with steamed rice and optional fried eggs.
- Choose the right cut of chicken: Chicken thighs work best for this recipe as they are tender and flavorful. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for convenience.
- Slice the chicken thinly: Slicing the chicken into thin strips ensures that it cooks quickly and evenly.
- Use high heat: When sautéing the chicken and other ingredients, make sure to use medium-high heat. This will help to create a nice sear and lock in the flavors.
- Use a non-stick skillet: A non-stick skillet will prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan and make it easier to stir-fry.
- Don’t overcook the chicken: Cook the chicken just until it is done to avoid dryness. Overcooked chicken can become tough and lose its juiciness.
- Adjust the spiciness: Thai red chilies add heat to the dish. If you prefer a milder or spicier version, you can add or reduce the amount of chilies.
- Add basil leaves towards the end: Thai basil leaves have a delicate flavor and aroma that can be diminished if cooked for too long. Stir them in towards the end of cooking to preserve their freshness.
- Customize the dish: Feel free to add other vegetables such as bell peppers, snap peas, or carrots for additional color and texture. You can also garnish with a squeeze of lime juice or sprinkle with chopped peanuts for extra flavor and crunch.
- Serve with steamed rice: Thai Basil Chicken pairs beautifully with steamed rice, which helps to balance the flavors and absorb the delicious sauce.
- Optional fried eggs: If you want to make the dish more substantial, consider serving it with a fried egg on top. The creamy yolk adds richness and creates a delightful contrast to the savory chicken.
Thai Basil Chicken
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or any cooking oil
- ¼ cup chopped shallots
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Thai red chilies de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- Steamed rice
- 4 fried eggs optional
- Slice the chicken thighs into small thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Then, add the garlic and chilies and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken strips and sauté until cooked, about 4 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and ground black pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the basil leaves.
- Serve with steamed rice and fried egg, if desired.