I stumbled upon this chicken and vegetable dish when I was reading the local newspaper at work one day. The healthy ingredients and easy way of making it caught my attention. It is a dish that I would definitely make for my family. And I was not disappointed. It was quick, easy to make and delicious. We had it for dinner and we still had left-overs for lunch the next day.
This recipe consists of pieces of chicken cooked in prepared Indian curry paste. The addition of broccoli, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and lentils complete this dish. If you prefer spicier curry, you can substitute the mild curry paste with a hotter one. This recipe perfectly suits my family’s taste 🙂
- 1 lb (500g) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushroom (white or cremini)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mild Indian curry paste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can (28oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 cups small broccoli or cauliflower florets
- 1 can (19oz/540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- In a large deep non-stick pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes; add mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic, 3 tbsp of the curry paste and cinnamon; add chicken and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice; cover and reduce heat to medium-low heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Taste and stir in more curry paste, if desired. Add broccoli and lentils; bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Stir in coriander. Serve with steamed rice and yogurt.