I made baked French toast for breakfast in the past and it was a hit with my family. I decided to take this delicious breakfast favorite to the next level by adding a fruit. That is how this baked blueberry french toast dish was created.
What kind of bread to use
White bread is normally used to make baked French toast. Others have used Texas toast, which is thicker than the normal white bread. I was planning to use Texas toast but my youngest son, whom I asked to buy it for me, could not find any. He bought white sourdough bread instead.
How to make baked french toast
Classic French toast is made of slices of bread soaked in a mixture of eggs and milk and then fried. This baked blueberry French toast differs from the classic version because it is made of layers of cubed bread, cream cheese, blueberries and then more cubed bread. The bread is soaked overnight in a mixture of eggs, milk, cinnamon and maple syrup. The soaked pieces of bread are then baked the next morning for 45 minutes. You can serve this delicious fruity dish on the weekend for breakfast or even for brunch. You can serve it with more fresh berries or other fruit. The French toast came out nice and toasty at the top when it came out of the oven. The filling was sweet and had a pleasant taste to it. I served this decadent treat with a drizzle of maple syrup. It was delicious!
Baked Blueberry French Toast
- 8-10 slices white bread ( I used white sourdough bread )
- 6 oz cream cheese , cut into small cubes
- 1 cup blueberries
- 6 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup , plus more for serving
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- Remove the crusts of the slices of bread and then cut into 1-inch cubes. Cover the bottom of the prepared pan with half of the cubed bread. Dot the cream cheese on top. Cover with the blueberries and then top with the remaining cubed bread.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon and maple syrup. Pour over the cubed bread. Cover with plastic wrap and then refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove the plastic wrap and then bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 40-45 minutes or until set and golden.
- Serve immediately with extra maple syrup.
Leave a Reply