I just came back from a 9 day trip to the Philippines. My mom celebrated her 90th birthday and we had a small party for her to celebrate this milestone. I was sad to see her frail body but happy for the precious time with her. Coming back was hard, both physically and emotionally. I was sick for a few days and my diet was mostly crackers, chicken soup and congee. I was running out of ideas to eat when I suddenly remembered this beef congee that I learned from a family member. He used to make this comforting dish on a regular basis. For him, it does not have to be a sick day to enjoy a bowl of beef congee.
This beef congee is easy to make and uses easily accessible ingredients. I was glad to have a bowl of this comforting and satisfying dish when I was sick. Yum!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and julienned
- 11 oz lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
- 10 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium high heat. Add the ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and saute until brown and no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked and beef is tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve, garnish with chopped green onions.
We usually do chicken congee. The beef congee is cooking and already my husband said he can’t wait.
any suggestion for cooking this congee in slow cooker? thanks!
This beef congee recipe can definitely be made in slow cooker. I suggest browning the ground beef first before placing it in the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Hope this helps!
Made this for the wife and kids tonight. Wonderful! Thanks!