I just came back from a 9 day trip to the Philippines. My mom celebrated her 90th birthday and we had a small party for her to celebrate this milestone. I was sad to see her frail body but happy for the precious time with her. Coming back was hard, both physically and emotionally. I was sick for a few days and my diet was mostly crackers, chicken soup and congee. I was running out of ideas to eat when I suddenly remembered this beef congee that I learned from a family member. He used to make this comforting dish on a regular basis. For him, it does not have to be a sick day to enjoy a bowl of beef congee.
This beef congee is easy to make and uses easily accessible ingredients. I was glad to have a bowl of this comforting and satisfying dish when I was sick. Yum!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and julienned
- 11 oz lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
- 10 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium high heat. Add the ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and saute until brown and no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked and beef is tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve, garnish with chopped green onions.