Bibingka is a Filipino sweet rice cake traditionally made in a clay pot lined with banana leaves. Traditionally, bibingka is eaten during Christmas time. However, nowadays, it can be found being sold in stores all year round. It is a good thing too, because I cannot get enough of this irresistible dessert!
In this recipe, the bibingka comes out crisp on the outside, but soft and sticky on the inside. Using banana leaves is optional, but it gives the bibingka a nice aroma. My family and I enjoy this sweet treat with hot chocolate or coffee.
Bibingka (Sweet Rice Cake)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb (454 g) sweet rice flour (Mochiko)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 14 oz (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup fresh milk
- Banana leaves, optional
- Melted butter
- Grated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- If using banana leaves: Cut 2 round banana leaves with a 12-inch diameter. Using the stove top, pass the banana leaves through low fire until soft and manageable. Press each circle into a 9-ich pan. Set aside.
- If not using banana leaves: Grease 2 (9-inch) pans with melted butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt, and then add to the egg mixture. Mix well.
- Add the coconut milk and fresh milk, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for 1 hour or until top is lightly brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Brush top with melted butter and sprinkle with grated coconut.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Is it baking soda or baking powder? I used baking powder.
I used baking powder in this recipe.
I was interested of your recipes am glad I discover website thank you hope you will post more pilipino dishes and pilipino de
Thanks for writing and that’s one of my goals for 2018: to post more Filipino dishes. Take care and happy Holidays!