This broccoli with bean and red pepper salad is one of the many salads that I enjoy making and eating. My husband and I love this salad for its easy to access ingredients and also for its health benefits. This recipe is flexible; you can modify the amount of ingredients to fit your family’s taste and needs. This healthy salad is simply dressed with a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil, oregano, garlic, parsley and feta cheese. It is an easy salad to make and refreshingly good as well! It is great on its own or serve with any kind of meat. Enjoy!
- Broccoli florets – the main vegetable in this salad recipe. It provides texture as well as nutrients to this salad.
- Cannellini beans (white kidney beans) – add an earthy, nutty flavor and creamy texture to this salad. It is a good source of fiber as well as other vitamins and nutrients.
- Roasted red pepper- adds a smoky flavor and health benefits to this salad recipe.
- Parsley- adds an intense flavor to this salad recipe
- Feta cheese- add a tangy, rich and salty flavor to this salad recipe.
- Dressing: oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic – binds the ingredients together and makes this salad tastier.
- Seasoning: salt and pepper.
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI WITH BEAN AND RED PEPPER SALAD:
To make this broccoli salad with bean and feta cheese, first cook the broccoli florets in salted boiling water until crisp tender. Drain and set aside. Next, combine together the oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and then add the beans, red pepper, parsley and feta cheese. Let the ingredients absorb the dressing for 10 minutes and then stir in the broccoli. Serve immediately.
- Marinate the beans, red pepper, herbs and feta cheese in the dressing for at least 10 minutes for a more flavorful salad.
- If you have time, you can roast your own red bell pepper.
- If you prefer, you can use dry cannellini beans. Soak the beans overnight to speed the cooking time and then gently simmer the beans until desired tenderness has been achieved.
Broccoli with Bean and Red Pepper Salad
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic grated
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 (398 ml/14 fl oz) can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 (340 ml) jar of roasted red peppers (3 large pieces), drained and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the broccoli until crisp tender, about a minute. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, oregano and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans, red peppers, parsley and feta; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the broccoli florets.
- Serve with your favorite meat.