I first learned about caldo verde when I saw a co-worker of mine having it for lunch one day. I was intrigued with the green colour of the soup. I asked for the recipe and my co-worker’s mom was kind enough to give me her recipe.
Caldo verde is a Portuguese kale and sausage soup that is easy to make. I am lucky to live close to a bakery that sells Portuguese style sausages. I had the choice between hot or sweet sausages. In this dish, the potatoes were first cooked in the chicken broth until tender and then mashed and returned to the broth. The rest of the ingredients were added afterwards and cooked until tender. The mashed potatoes made the broth creamy and the kale and sausages added a different texture and flavor to the soup. This creamy and satisfying soup is a good one to have on a cool chilly day!
Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale and Sausage Soup)
- 14 oz kale ,thoroughly rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth or water
- 8 medium size Russet potatoes ,peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small carrots ,peeled and cut into ¼-inch rounds (about 1 cup)
- 5 oz sweet or hot Chourico (Portuguese style sausage) , thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the kale by slicing off the tough middle stems and slicing the leaves thinly. Set aside.
- Place the broth, potatoes and olive oil in a big pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and continue to cook for 8 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the broth. Using a potato masher, mashed the potatoes and then place back into the broth.
- Add the kale, carrots and sausage, and cook for 10 minutes or until the kale are wilted and carrots are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.