Chicken Afritada is another popular Filipino dish. Pieces of chicken are cooked in tomato sauce along with carrots, potatoes and bell peppers. Some prefer to add green peas and hot dogs as well, but I prefer my afritada without it. Another variation will use both pork and chicken or will use just pork. I like my afritada simple and easy, with just the basic vegetables.
In this recipe, chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks) are marinated in soy sauce and lemon and then they are cooked in garlic, onions and tomatoes. Carrots, potatoes and red bell peppers are added and simmered for 20 minutes. The result is a chicken dish with a delicious tomato sauce.
- 2 lbs chicken (mix of thighs and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- Marinate chicken pieces in soy sauce and lemon juice for half an hour. Drain chicken from the marinade.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Sauté garlic, onions and tomatoes for 2 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add chicken pieces and saute for a few minutes until meat is nicely browned and no longer pink.
Add fish sauce and stir. Add tomato sauce and water and stir to combine. Let the mixture boil and then reduce heat. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
Add carrots, red bell pepper and potatoes; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!