A co-worker of mine made this savory chicken bread and brought it to work. I enjoyed it so much that I asked for the recipe!
As in the past, I used store bought rotisserie chicken in place of boiled chicken meat. I like to do this for convenience and for the added flavor. I love the flexibility of this dish as you can fill it with anything you want. Ham and cheese would probably be a good filling as well! My family loved this dish, especially straight out of the oven!
For the Filling
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken meat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Dough
- 1 8 g packet active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water, divided plus more as needed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- Egg wash (1 egg whisk in 1 tsp water), for glazing
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
To make the filling:
- Place the butter and onion in a pan over medium high heat. Cook the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and flour.
- Add the milk, and cook, stirring, until thick, about a minute. Stir in the chicken meat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
To make the dough:
- In a big bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1 cup warm water. Add the sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In another big bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the yeast mixture and then add the egg, oil and remaining 1 cup warm water. Knead until a medium soft dough is achieved, adding more warm water as needed. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape, snip the sides with scissors or a knife, put half of the filling in the center and fold each side so they overlap each other like a braid. Brush top generously with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat with the other dough and filling. Place the breads in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.