I love cooking for my family. They enjoy and appreciate whatever food I serve on the dining table. It is worth the time and effort I spend in the kitchen cooking for them. Recently, I made this delicious honey chicken for dinner. My husband tried it as soon it was cooked. He liked it so much; he kept coming back to the kitchen to get a piece. He could not stop raving about the dish and even mentioned that it is his favorite.
Honey chicken consists of chicken pieces dipped in a batter, rolled in a mixture of cornstarch and flour, and then fried. A mixture of honey and sweet chili sauce is afterwards poured over the cooked chicken. The result is sweet and golden chicken nuggets that crispy on the inside and juicy and tender on the inside.
- Chicken thighs – the main protein in this recipe. Thigh is the perfect cut to use for this recipe. It is moist, flavorful and has less chance of drying out during frying.
- Batter: flour, cornstarch, baking powder, egg whites and water – gives the chicken pieces volume and extra texture.
- Flour/cornstarch mixture: flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper– is used to coat the chicken pieces before frying.
- Sauce: honey and sweet chili sauce – gives fried chicken pieces its sweet taste.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY CHICKEN:
To make this sweet and crunchy honey chicken, first prepare the batter by combining the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, egg whites and water. Dip the chicken pieces into the batter and then roll in the seasoned flour/cornstarch mixture. Deep fry the coated chicken pieces in moderately hot oil until brown and crispy. Drain and then transfer to a serving plate. To serve, pour the sauce mixture of honey and sweet chili sauce over the fried chicken pieces.
- When frying, pour a good amount of oil into a heavy-bottom pot.
- Use a cooking oil that has a high smoke point.
- The combination of flour and cornstarch gives the fried chicken pieces its crunchy exterior.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan when frying the chicken pieces. Following this step produces fried chicken pieces with a golden crunchy exterior.
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 egg whites beaten
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp cold water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp fine salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, egg whites and water. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the cornstarch/flour mixture in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the batter and then roll in cornstarch/flour mixture. Shake off any excess cornstarch/flour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or heavy-bottom pot. Deep fry the chicken pieces, in batches, until golden brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Drain briefly and transfer to a serving plate.
- In a small saucepan, melt the honey with the sweet chili sauce. Pour over the chicken and serve immediately.
Check out some of my other Asian inspired chicken dishes.