This chicken and mushroom soup is a healthy and easy soup to make. It simply consists of chicken breast, fresh shiitake mushrooms and spinach. The strips of chicken breast were seasoned with salt, white pepper, cornstarch and vegetable oil and then added to the boiling broth mixture of sauteed green onions and sliced mushrooms. Spinach was added last at the end of the cooking time. It added color, texture and flavor to this comforting soup. This tasty chicken and fresh shiitake mushroom soup is a perfect meal to have on rainy days like we are having lately here in Vancouver, Canada. Enjoy!
Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- 1 (9 oz) boneless chicken breast
- ¼ tsp salt plus more as needed
- 1/8 tsp white pepper powder plus more as needed
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Vegetable oil
- 3 green onions thinly sliced (light and dark green parts separated)
- 8 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- Sesame oil
- Slice chicken breast into long, thin strips; season with ¼ teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, corn starch and a drizzle of vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a soup pot, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Stir-fry light green parts of green onions until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring until mushroom has softened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add water and turn the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a boil; add seasoned chicken strips and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Gently stir and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Correct seasoning with salt and white pepper, if needed. Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowl. Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil and top with dark green parts of green onions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Can you use rotisserie chicken instead?
Yes, you can definitely replaced the chicken breast with rotisserie chicken meat.
I used ginger as well and it turned out soooo yummy..just sauteed spring onion n ginger together…delicious
Glad you liked it!
Soooo easy to make and soooo incredibly delicious! Thank you
I loved your recipe. I did not have green onions so substituted for regular onions, and added some noodles. I like that this recipe offers a base with which to play using other ingredients. Thank you
You’re welcome Ebe!