My inspiration for making this honey mustard chicken and asparagus stir fry dish came from the ingredients that I had in my freezer. Normally, I make stir fry with chicken thighs because it’s more juicy and tasty. My youngest son is a big fan of chicken breast and I had it in my freezer, so I decided to use chicken breast in this dish. I used a honey mustard sauce to flavor the stir fry. It is a sauce that I’ve used before and it’s one of my family’s favorite stir fry sauce.
In this honey mustard chicken and asparagus stir fry dish, bite-sized pieces of chicken breast were marinated in a mixture of cornstarch, soy sauce and sherry, browned and then stir-fried with asparagus and mushrooms. It was then flavored with this sweet, tasty honey mustard sauce. My family and I enjoyed this chicken stir-fry with steamed rice.
Honey Mustard Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb asparagus, bottoms snapped and then sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
Honey mustard sauce:
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine together ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Toss chicken pieces with cornstarch, soy sauce and dry sherry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and stir-fry chicken for 4 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and stir-fry, stirring until evenly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add asparagus and stir-fry, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and sauce; stir and cook for 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve over rice.