A while ago, I made turmeric chicken with rice and my family loved it so much. I have remade that dish several times since and was the inspiration for this chicken paprika with rice. I love one-pot rice dishes because they are easy and always a hit with my family.
In this dish, I used bone in chicken pieces because it is more flavorful. The pieces were seasoned, browned and then set aside. Onions, mushrooms and tomatoes were sauteed and the rice, chicken broth, saffron and browned chicken were added afterwards. The mixture was simmered for a period until the chicken was tender. The chicken came out moist and tender while the rice was cooked perfectly, tasty and flavorful. This hearty chicken rice dish is delicious and very satisfying. I will definitely add it to my repertoire of one-pot-meal recipes.
- 4 bone-in , skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in , skin-on chicken drumsticks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
Wash chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle chicken pieces with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with paprika, garlic powder and oregano.
Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces, four pieces at a time and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add onion and mushrooms and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes and then add rice and stir constantly for a minute.
- Add chicken broth, saffron and browned chicken pieces (plus accumulated juices). Season with salt and pepper. Stir to mix ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender and rice has absorbed the liquid, about 25-30 minutes.