As you may already know, I am a big fan of easy recipes. Naturally, this one pot meal caught my attention because it is so quick, simple and easy to clean up. It was one of the many soups or stews I made during the cold snowy days we have been having lately here in Vancouver. I got the easy Italian bean stew recipe from a healthy magazine that I was lucky to get hold of. This recipe uses healthy ingredients such as turkey sausage and spinach and some other easy accessible ingredients. The instructions are also simple and easy to follow. So much so even a person learning how to cook will be able to follow the steps without a problem. In this recipe, the turkey sausage was browned first and then simmered along with the diced tomatoes and beans. The spinach was then added during the last stage of cooking. This tasty stew is hearty and filling, my family and I had it on its own. It is comforting and satisfying as well. Enjoy!
Easy Italian Bean Stew
- 375 g Italian style turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 ml) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook until liquid from meat has evaporated and meat is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (with juice), beans and broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until just wilted.