This recipe is an easy version of the popular take out Chinese dish. The sliced beef in this easy Mongolian beef recipe are coated in cornstarch and then fried until browned. Then, it is coated in a sweet sauce of garlic, ginger, soy sauce and dark brown sugar. My husband suggested to lessen the sugar next time, but other than that it was simply delicious. My husband and I enjoyed this sweet and savory dish with rice and steamed broccoli. It was a perfect combination!
Easy Mongolian Beef
- 1 lb flank steak , sliced (diagonal angle) thinly against the grain
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 3 green onions , chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar , or less if desired
- Place the sliced beef in a small bowl. Add the cornstarch and toss to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat ½ cup oil over medium high heat. Add the beef, in batches and cook, until brown, about 4 minutes each batch. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté for 20 seconds. Add the water and soy sauce. Boil, stir in the brown sugar and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer until the sauce starts to thicken, about 4 minutes.
- Add the browned beef and stir until beef is fully coated with the sauce. Stir in the green onions.
- Serve with steamed rice and steamed vegetables.