I am looking forward to summer because it is my favorite time of the year. For me, it is a time when I can slow down, relax and enjoy my time off from work. It is a time when I can reflect and spend quality time with my family. This means going for a walk, playing a board game, watching a movie or even enjoying a good meal together. Barbecue is our favorite way to cook our food in summer. Our all-time favorite food to barbecue is pork. In this Filipino pork barbecue dish, the pork is sliced thinly, marinated overnight, skewered on bamboo sticks and cooked on a barbecue grill.
It is a lot of work but it’s worth it!
Filipino Pork Barbecue
- 2.5 lbs pork shoulder butt
- Bamboo skewers
- 1 head garlic minced
- ¼ cup lemon or calamansi juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 can (355ml) 7-up or ginger ale
- Prepare pork by slicing it into ¼ inch thick, 1 1/2 inch long and 1 inch wide pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, ketchup and 7-up. Add pork pieces and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for at least one hour or overnight.
- Prepare basting sauce by combining 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar and ½ cup ketchup. Set aside.
- String the pork pieces on skewers, around 5-6 pieces on each stick.
- Grill on medium heat until cooked, basting and turning every few minutes on each side.
- Serve as is or with vinegar garlic dipping sauce. Enjoy!