This stir fried ginger sesame asparagus and shiitake dish is a simple and easy one to pair with any meat or fish dish. I love the combination of fresh shiitake mushrooms with asparagus. In my opinion, it only needs the most basic seasonings to make it taste good. In this dish, the asparagus, mushrooms and onions are simply stir fried together. Garlic, ginger and sesame seeds are added afterward and stir fried until the asparagus is tender. After adding soy sauce and sesame oil, the dish is complete. The result is a simple side dish that is tasty, healthy and easy to make.
Ginger Sesame Asparagus and Shiitake
- 3 tbsp avocado or canola oil
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch diagonal pieces
- 7 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the asparagus, mushrooms, and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds and stir-fry until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 1 minute.
- Add the water and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Season to taste with salt.