Pound cake is my favorite kind of cake because of its soft texture. I have made several pound cakes in the past and two of my favorites are mango peach pound cake and blueberry lemon pound cake. I got this glazed lemon pound cake recipe from my co-worker, who bought this loaf to work on treat day last week.
The recipe is a typical pound cake recipe with the lemon juice and lemon zest as extra ingredients. The sugar and butter were creamed until fluffy and then the eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice were added. The dry ingredients were afterwards added alternately with the sour cream. It was baked for 55 minutes and then a lemon glaze was then drizzled over the warm loaf. The result was slices of bread that are soft, moist with just a hint of lemon. Enjoy a slice of this delicious loaf with a cup of your favorite coffee. Incredibly satisfying!
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream , removed from fridge 15 minutes before using
- 1/2 cup icing/confectioners' sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice , plus more as needed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x4-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper that covers the bottom and long sides with an inch extending past the top of the pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze, adding enough lemon juice to make a pourable glaze. Place a baking tray under the cooling rack to catch any drips and spoon glaze slowly over top and sides of loaf. Cool completely.