I try to buy most of my meat from the local butcher shop. Their store is located on a huge family farm and they provide high quality grass-fed beef, pork and chicken. Last week, I went to the store to buy beef shank to make soup. It has been raining most of the week, so I thought of making soup with onions, potatoes and lots of cabbage. They also sell marinated beef and chicken. Among these marinated meats, they had souvlaki chicken breasts. My family and I are huge fans of Greek food, so I decided to buy the chicken with the intention of recreating my favorite food to order at a Greek restaurant. To recreate the souvlaki dinner, I decided to make this simple Greek salad to go with the chicken souvlaki.
I like this Greek salad recipe for its simple fresh ingredients. It consists of all my favorites: cucumbers, red onions, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese. Also, the dressing is very simple. It is made with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper. My family and I enjoyed this Greek salad with the chicken souvlaki and homemade mint cucumber raita sauce. Enjoy.
- 1/2 medium English cucumber diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a salad bowl, combine together cucumber, red onion, bell pepper and tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over the tomato mixture, toss well and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Serve with your favorite meat or fish.