I learned about this honey garlic chicken strips recipe from my youngest son. He has been doing a lot of cooking since he moved out and this was one that he raved about. I knew this dish would be a hit because I’ve made lots of different kinds of honey garlic chicken dishes before including our favorite honey garlic chicken wings. My son used chicken breasts in this dish, but I prefer chicken thighs which are juicier. The chicken strips were seasoned with garlic powder, salt and pepper and then coated with cornstarch and fried until browned. I served it over rice with steamed vegetables. The honey garlic sauce is then poured over. The chicken strips were nice and crunchy and coating it in the honey garlic sauce made it taste even better!
Honey Garlic Chicken Strips
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 tbsp avocado oil , plus more as needed
- 3 cloves garlic , grated or minced
- Steamed rice
- Steamed vegetables , optional
- Roasted sesame seed , optional
Honey Garlic Sauce:
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, olive oil and hoisin sauce. Whisk until combined and then set aside.
- Cut the chicken into strips. Place in a shallow dish and then season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the seasoned chicken with the cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Using a high rim frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook, in batches until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Reheat the same pan over medium high heat, adding more oil, if needed. Add the garlic and stir fry for 30 second. Add the honey garlic sauce and cook, stirring until thick and bubbly. Add the fried chicken strips and stir to coat. Remove from the heat.
- To plate, arrange the chicken and steamed vegetables (if using) over the rice. Drizzle more of the honey garlic sauce over the chicken and vegetables and then sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.