On Saturday, I celebrated the Lunar New Year with my family. For lunch, my husband and I had some dim sum, barbecue pork and roast pork. For dinner, we were joined at our favorite local Szechuan restaurant by my sons and daughter-in law. It was a fun and enjoyable time spent with my family. On Sunday, I used the left-over roast pork to make this lechon fried rice. I had left-over frozen mixed vegetables in the freezer which I added to the fried rice. I used the same basic steps I always use in making fried rice except I browned the roast pork separately and added them to the fried rice just before serving. This way the roast pork stays nicely brown and crunchy. The roast pork fried rice turned out tasty and very filling. A drizzle of the liquid seasoning made it even better!
- Roast pork – the main protein in this dish
- Olive oil
- Mixed vegetables
- Cold cooked rice
- Soy sauce
- Garnish: green onions
- Optional: liquid seasoning
How to make Lechon Fried Rice
To make this lechon fried rice, first cook the seasoned eggs in hot oil and set aside. Next, sauté the garlic together with the roast pork. When the roast pork is nicely browned, set it aside. Then, cook the mixed vegetables in hot oil until tender and add the cold cooked rice. Finally, add the cooked eggs and season the dish with the soy sauce. Garnish the fried rice with a sprinkle of sliced green onions.
- Season the beaten eggs before frying for a tastier scramble.
- For convenience, I use frozen mixed vegetables in this recipe but other fresh vegetables of your preference may also be used.
- Browning the roast pork separately and adding it back just before serving gives the pork a crunchy and better taste
- Liquid seasoning may be drizzled over the cooked fried rice for a flavorful and tasteful fried rice.
Lechon Fried Rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs , lightly beaten
- A pinch of seasoning salt
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped
- 8 oz lechon or store bought roast pork , sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables , thawed
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 green onions , sliced thinly
- 2 tsp of liquid seasoning , optional
- Season the eggs with seasoning salt.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add the beaten egg and cook until starting to set. Then push the set egg towards the center and let the unset egg run to the edges. Continue cooking until firm and then break up into large pieces. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, swirl 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the roast pork and cook, stirring often, until nicely browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Using a clean skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add the mixed vegetables and cook covered, stirring regularly until the vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, stirring and breaking up any clumps. Add the cooked eggs and soy sauce. Gently stir to combine. Drizzle with the liquid seasoning, if using.
- Serve. Garnish with sliced green onions.